ADSM-L

Re: ADSM on MVS vs AIX

1996-02-12 02:50:40
Subject: Re: ADSM on MVS vs AIX
From: Mitch Sako <mitch AT CELLNET DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 23:50:40 PST
The easy answer to your question yes and yes.  The 3090 is very slow
compared to the latest CPU technology (CISC and RISC) including
RS/6000, P5, P6, et. al.  The trick is to throw enough resources at
the problem when running on a non-mainframe (adequate memory for
starters).  I don't know where a model R30 ranks in terms of MIPS
or RS/6000 product line, but if it's up in the 50-200 MIPS range you
will not be disappointed.

Splitting the load is always helpful, both in terms of downsizing
your databases and speeding up your queries.

Mitch

> Hi,
>      We're in the process of looking at migrating ADSM from MVS to an
> RS/6000.  I've noticed this topic being discussed by other folks and had a
> few questions for anybody who's gone thru or is going thru this migration.
>  We're currently running ADSM on a 3090-500J (about 21 MIPS per processor)
> and are running into a lot of problems trying to complete our backups at
> night.  With no background processes (migration, reclamation, etc.) running,
> I've noticed that ADSM will take about 90-95% of a CPU during the
> incremental backups (10-20 incrementals running at any given time).  It
> seems to me that since ADSM cannot run on more than 1 processor that we're
> running into a bottleneck with the speed of a single processor on a
> 3090-500J.  We're looking at migrating to an RS/6000 model R30 (2
> processors).  I know it's comparing apples and oranges but will we be
> getting more processing power per processor on an RS/6000 R30 than we
> currently have on the 3090-500J ???  When we migrate, would it help much if
> I split ADSM into 2 separate instances on the same RS/6000 box (our current
> database is about 7 GB) ???
>
> Thanks.
> Tim Pittson
> pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com

Mitch Sako                            Phone:     (415) 508-6761
Cellnet Data Systems                  FAX:       (415) 508-6700
125 Shoreway Road                     Pager:     (408) 989-3365
San Carlos, CA 94070                  email:     mitch AT cellnet DOT com
                                      personal:  msako AT netcom DOT com