ADSM-L

Re: Backup file cleanup

1996-02-09 15:49:21
Subject: Re: Backup file cleanup
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 20:49:21 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%9602092145.AA0519@MGICSMTP>, Mary_Vollmer AT mgic DOT com
(Mary Vollmer) writes:
>Our Novell administrators are in the process of re-organizing all their
>servers.  They have created new server names and copied data from 1 or more old
>servers to the new servers.  When they are done copying the data, our users
>become active on the new server and the old server, although still intact, is
>'turned off'.  After the last backup of these servers, many of the of the ADSM
>backup versions were in active status.  I removed these old servers from the
>backup schedule but would also like ADSM to maintain the backup versions stored
>for these old servers according to the management class specifications (most of
>them can be deleted since the files are now active on the new servers).  This
>isn't going to happen because there is nothing to change the status of the
>active backups to inactive.  The only thing I saw that might help me is the
>RENAME NODE command but the description doesn't state that the backups will be
>bound to this new name.  It also doesn't state whether or not a node can be
>renamed to a node name that already exists.  I can't manually delete by
>filespace at the end of the default retention period because we have some
>backups that must be retained for 7 years.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I
>can get this data cleaned up and still keep my long retention data?   Thanks in
>advance for your responses.

Get a spare pc and set it up to be an empty server.  Name it as one of the
old servers.  Make the filespaces the same name as on one of the old servers.
Now run an incremental.  All the user datasets will appear to be deleted and
will become inactive in the server, and start the clock ticking.

Take an export first as a backup.  You can check the results by doing
<export filedate=activebackup preview=yes>.

Rename the empty server to the next old server and do the same thing.

(I don't have any Novell here so I can't say that I have done this, but it
should work.)

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com