ADSM-L

ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP communications failure

1996-02-06 13:41:24
Subject: ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP communications failure
From: "David E. Bohm" <bohm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 11:41:24 MST
There has been a lot of activity on this subject and I would like to add
my $.02.

There are a lot of reasons this message can be received and I suspect that
everyone gets these messages but for unrelated reasons.  Just because
everyone sees this messages is not an indication of an ADSM code bug
although I will not rule out that possibility.

When you see the message the first thing to look for are messages on the
server.  This message can be received when for some reason the server
terminates the session with the client.  In this case there should be
messages issued by the server to give an indication as to why the session
was terminated.  If the server terminated the session and this was the only
message on the client then this is a case where it should be investigated
why the client did not issue a better message indicating the reason that
the server terminated the session.

Another common case where this message is received is when there is some
form of a lan or tcp/ip problem.  Check the dsmerror.log for additional
messages.  There should be messages that indicate the errno that TCP/IP
passed on to ADSM.  If you have a C compiler for that machine you can look
in errno.h for the meaning of that errno.  If the server also gets
ANR0480W then this is an indication the problem is in the network or
TCP/IP on the client or server.  This means that both the client and the
server received an error from TCP/IP.

The important thing to remember is there are many layers in the
communications model.  ADSM is at the application layer and communicates
with TCP through a standard socket interface.  This error message is
issued when ADSM gets a non-zero return code back from the socket call
it made.

These communications problems can take a long time to resolve.  With ADSM
client and server traces we might be able to help narrow down the problem.
In many cases sniffer traces are needed to determine the actual cause of
the problem.

David Bohm,  ADSM technical support