ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes Agent

1996-01-24 11:40:37
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Agent
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 08:40:37 PST
 Mary Vollmer asks:

 ========== Forwarded letter starts ==========
 My first thought when I heard about the Lotus Notes agent was that a datbase
 restore would take much longer because the various documents could be spead
 over several tapes and if we had to do a server restore, what used to tae 7
 hrs could take a day.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Thanks.
 ========== Forwarded letter ends ==========

 What you are saying is true to an extent. Because the backup for Lotus
 Notes is at the document level, it's somewhat analagous to backing up
 a bunch of files, rather than just one large object. So, like any other
 ADSM client, the backups could be spread over multiple tapes. This can
 be mitigated, however, by storing the Lotus Notes Agent backups in a
 collocated tapepool. If you don't use collocation for your existing
 tape pool(s), consider creating a new tape pool just for the Lotus
 Notes Agent that *is* collocated.

 It is my experience that overall through-put of the Lotus Notes Agent
 is slower compared to backing up the same amount of data with a regular
 ADSM backup/archive client. I believe that this happens because for
 each document, the Lotus Notes Agent has to make calls to Lotus Notes
 itself, which slows it down.

 You should consider using the regular ADSM backup/archive client in
 tandem with the Lotus Notes database. That is, make periodic full
 backups of the entire Notes database using the backup/archive client,
 and incremental backups with the Lotus Notes Agent in-between. While
 you don't *have* to do this, it will help speed up the recovery process,
 especially for huge databases (i.e. with lots & lots of documents),
 because the amount of data to be recovered incrementally is reduced.

 Andy Raibeck
 ADSM Level 2 Support