ADSM-L

Compression under Windows 3.1

1996-01-23 12:07:08
Subject: Compression under Windows 3.1
From: Lee Maschmeyer <LMASCHM AT CMS.CC.WAYNE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 12:07:08 EST
Awhile ago I asked whether the Windows 3.1 client did in fact do any
compression during backup, since there is no report of compression
savings.  Nobody has answered this question (I guess they don't know
:-), so I'll answer it myself.

I see by my log of last night's scheduled backup that compression does
in fact take place, but the only reason I know this is that several
files grew during compression and so had to be retried.  I think it
would be snazzy to add a line to the output similar to the one I used to
get on Dos, something like, perhaps:

Compression savings: 48%

But there does seem to be a problem with this mechanism.  According to
the log, at least, if a file grows during compression, the program
doesn't retry just that file; it goes back to the top or so of the
directorry or to the point where a file last grew during compression,
and it retransmits (presumably uncompressed) all files between that
point and the file that grew.  This is obviously wasteful.  Even if it's
only the lines in the log that are reprinted, it's still unaesthetic.

| Lee Maschmeyer                       | lmaschm AT cms.cc.wayne DOT edu

| Computing and Information Technology | [email protected]         |
| 5925 Woodward                        | (313) 577-0741                  |
| Detroit, Michigan 48202 U.S.A.       | Fax: (313) 577-5626             |
| The Story Man--Prof. Storytelling    | Home: (810) 545-0170            |