ADSM-L

ADSM Storage Management 101

1996-01-22 16:28:10
Subject: ADSM Storage Management 101
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:28:10 EST
*** Reply to note of 01/22/96 13:03
From: Andrew M. Raibeck
I'm not sure you can span logical volumes over physical volumes, but
I wouldn't recommend it.

For 3390 DASD, I found that a good size for storage pool volumes was
one third of a 3390-3. The advantages are that (1) the sizes are
consistent, and (2) if you had to move ADSM storage pool volumes between
different models of 3390 (i.e. 3390-3 to 3390-2), they would fit very
nicely with very little wasted space (assuming you don't mix other
data sets in with your ADSM storage pool volumes). In any event, this
is what worked for me.

As far as your question about "how do you pick up the second volume
with the administrator when you assign the data sets to a storage
pool?" I'm not sure what you mean by this. First, you have to allocate
and format the VSAM LDS for ADSM's use. Then just issue the DEFINE
VOLUME command from the ADSM admin:

   DEF V <pool_name> <volume_name>

ADSM will add the volume to the storage pool and it's immediately
available for use.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support

Andy Raibeck