ADSM-L

Re: number of backup versions

1996-01-22 08:59:16
Subject: Re: number of backup versions
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 14:59:16 +0100
> Does anyone have deeper thougths about the number of versions of client-
> files that should be maintained on the server as the default.
> We use 3 just because it sounds pretty save.

We used 4 for a long time. One Monday, a user came to me; she had
destroyed her incoming mailbox on the Friday before. I promised her,
to have a look, but it was Tuesday, when I found the time to do so.
Guess what I saw? Of course, the incoming mailbox had changed on every
day and a new backup was taken on every evening. So I had the Friday,
Saturday, Sunday and Monday evening backup versions, but the Thursday
evening version which I needed was gone.

We now keep 5 backup versions and I am thinking of increasing this number.

In this context, i would like to know the costs of increasing the number
of backup versions in terms of DB space. No overall estimate, because this
depends on other parameters, like expiration; just the difference in
DB space needed for one file with 5 backup copies and one file with 6
backup copies. Are there any etimates?

Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Universitaetsrechenzentrum, Einsteinstrasse 60, 48149 Muenster, Germany
E-Mail: mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de                   Phone: +49(251)83-2488