ADSM-L

FW: Performance problem help

1996-01-16 14:55:00
Subject: FW: Performance problem help
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 14:55:00 EST
Jerry,
     I also ran into some timeout issues a long time ago (1/94).  Per IBM
level 2, I raised the commtimeout parameter in the ADSM server options file
from the default of 60 seconds to 300 seconds.  This helped eliminate a lot
of the timeout problems we were having.

     I would definitely recommend bumping up the dispatching priority for
ADSM, at least during the periods when your incremental backups are running.
 We have our ADSM dispatching priority set to just below that of TCPIP.  In
my opinion, ESCON is not going to by you anything because bus & tag @ 4.5
MB/sec is still faster than Ethernet or Token Ring (would probably help with
FDDI, though). You used to be able to run into problems with the 3172's
(overruns, etc.) by running in  'promiscuous' mode but I don't think that's
supported anymore.  You might also want to check and see what ADSM
background processing is running at the time you're having these problems
(i.e. Expire processing, disk to tape migration, reclamation, etc.)  I try
to avoid running these processes while the incrementals are running - they
use a lot of CPU resources and can interfere wtith the backups.

Good luck !!!

Tim Pittson
pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com