ADSM-L

FW: Tape Management with ADSM

1996-01-16 14:28:00
Subject: FW: Tape Management with ADSM
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 14:28:00 EST
We run ADSM under MVS.  Unfortunately, I'm stuck with TLMS so I can't use
the ADSM tape management exit like you can with RMM and TMS   I've created a
job using SAS and standard utilities that -

1) Backs up the volume history file
2) Reads the volume history file looking for volumes with a status of
STGDELETE
3) Compares those volumes (DSN=ADSM.BFS) with what's in the TLMS master file

4) If everything matches, it
    a) Generates control cards to scratch the tapes via a TLMS batch update
process
    b) Prints a report for the tape librarian
  (if things don't match up, the process is aborted and a discrepancy report
printed.)
5) Issues a delete volumehistory command to clear out the volume history
file of all the volumes with a STGDELETE status that were just scratched.

We only run this once a week. Not pretty but it's worked fine for us over
the past year or so.

Tim Pittson
pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com