ADSM-L

Some questions about pools.

2015-10-04 18:17:09
Subject: Some questions about pools.
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 1/12/96 4:01PM
Mark -

We are also using the MVS Server.  To answer your questions -

1.  We are currently using just 1 disk pool before we migrate to tape.  We do
not limit by file size - all goes to disk, and then to tape.

2.  We do not keep tapes by retention - they are marked in CA-1 as managed by
ADSM, and we let ADSM reclaim the tape when the amount of still active data
falls below 40%.  Once data has been migrated off, the tape is returned to the
scratch pool.  I would suggest using this type of management, since puting a
retention on the files would have the effect of requirng extra backups, and
also many more tapes used than actually needed.

3.  I think that the thresholds on the migration from DASD to Tape are
dependent on the size of your DASD pool, and the activity it supports.  For
example, if you have a small pool, and it is very active, 95% may indeed be
too high.  On the otherhand, if you have a very large pool (10 GB for
example), 5% of the pool would be 500MB.  If you have thresholds set at 50%
and 95%, the question that maybe should be asked is "Can I migrate 4.5GB off
before the customers can write 500MB and fill the pool??"

BTW, we have our thresholds set at 50% and 90%.

Jerry Lawson