ADSM-L

Re: Some questions about pools.

1996-01-14 20:41:24
Subject: Re: Some questions about pools.
From: Bob Klein <KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 20:41:24 EST

> Hello,
>
> We are running the ADSM server on MVS/ESA.
>
> 1) How many disk pools do you use before moving the data to tape?

I have one disk pool and one tape pool.  Unless you have different
types of disk, I don't see any point in  having more than one
disk pool in your heirarchy.

> 2) How long do you keep the tape for (5 years)?

We have not been using ADSM all that long.  I would think that
you would keep the tapes for as long as you need the files on
them.  Remember, that files get expired per the specificiations
of the management class.

> 3) What threshold have you set on the server before it starts moving
>    data from one pool to the next. I would think 95% full is too high?

I force migration every weekend by lowering the high migration
threshold to 30%.   As we backup more data I will probably migrate
more frequently and make the high migration threshold even lower.

Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607