ADSM-L

Re: Log Space Overcommitted

1996-01-09 11:36:55
Subject: Re: Log Space Overcommitted
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 16:36:55 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%9601091559.AA13490 AT seuss.cc.utexas DOT edu>, jarry AT
seuss.cc.utexas DOT edu (Robert Jarry) writes:
>My ADSM server went down due to what appears to be a full recovery log. The
>message given was  "Server operation terminated - internal error LOGSEG871
>detected". When I try and restart the server I get the same message
>preceded by the message "Log space has been overcommitted (no empty segment
>found) - base LSN = 349.0.0"
>
>I'm new to ADSM and can't figure out how to recover from this condition and
>what if anything I did  wrong to cause it. Any suggestions will be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>--
>Robert Jarry | r.jarry AT cc.utexas DOT edu | (512) 475-9330
>The University of Texas at Austin - Computation Center

This has happened to me too, but you can easily recover.  I am on an MVS
version 2 server.  You don't say what server and level you are on, but I assume
is is a version 2 server and you are running in 'rollforward' mode.

If you are MVS, read the ANR2210 documentation member in 'SYS1.SAMPLIB'.  If
you are AIX, there should be a similar document  or readme somewhere in your
ADSM directory.  It details the steps you must do.  Briefly, you must
allocate more log space and format it with ANRFMT.  Then run the server program
(ANRSERV) with a parm of '/extend log <filename> <megabytes>'.  This will
shutdown by itself.
You will then be able to start the server for normal operations.

You should immediately take a database backup, either full or incremental.
Then find out why the database isn't getting dumped backed up automatically.
Look at the 'define backuptrigger' command and associated doc in the
admin guide.  If all this is new to you, then turn off rollforward
('set logmode normal') until you are ready to use the new database
backup and recovery features, and backup the server by other means.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550