ADSM-L

FW: Mac that won't complete a backup...

1996-01-04 12:24:00
Subject: FW: Mac that won't complete a backup...
From: "Siska, Bob" <BSISKA AT NCS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 09:24:00 PST
 ----------
From: Christ, David
To: Siska, Bob
Subject: RE: Mac that won't complete a backup...
Date: Thursday, January 04, 1996 6:41AM

yes the new macs have a powerdown mode.  in that mode the status of the
system (i.e. RAM) is kept alive, but the processor is not really running.
 thus it will not respond to various outside signals.  a signal from the
keyboard will wake it up and the unit will be in the state it was before the
shutdown.  this is different from turning it off where power is cut off from
the RAM and all volatile information is lost.  incidentally, the power saver
feature has the ability to turn the machine on at a specific time so it
could be used to ensure that the unit is on for an after hours backup.