ADSM-L

Re: FW: Requirement for ADSM to store only one copy of a file

1996-01-04 04:26:44
Subject: Re: FW: Requirement for ADSM to store only one copy of a file
From: Simon Travaglia <SPT AT WAIKATO.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 22:26:44 +1300

>Anyone else out there have a need for this feature?
>Anyone from IBM care to comment on directions?
>Or am I missing the boat completely?
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Forwarded letter ends =
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>
>My own thoughts on this: I agree that this would be a desirable feature. =
>But I don't know how other products implement it. ADSM currently doesn't =
>inspect the contents of a file. I suppose it's possible that two =
>different files could have the same name, size, and modification =
>date/time. Maybe not WINWORD.EXE, but perhaps something like MYDOC.TXT. =
>This might not be as far-fetched as it sounds. I have no idea how other =
>vendors provide a solution to this.

The problem with duplicate files is that a lot of the time they'll look
like duplicates but will not in fact be that way. Take for instance an
application that is 'customised' by the installation process to work only
on a single machine.  It has an IP number, Ethernet address or Name to
distinguish itself.   Stashing only one copy of photoshop say, because
they all have exactly the same file size, would not work.  It's possible
that even checksumming might not work because it's conceivable that the
checksum is 'padded' after the customisation process to match the original.

The interim way around not backing up multiple copies of data is to not
back it up at all.  If it's in multiple places and easily installable,
why not exclude the entire directory, or certain file specs.  Another
option is to have application areas and data areas on the client.  Never
backup the application areas and always backup the data areas.

|[POWER ON]  150 WATT / CHANNEL SIGNATURE BOOSTER          | spt AT waikato.ac
DOT nz
||LEVEL       1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 | |BOOSTER| | ITS, University of
||METER  L ################------------------- | |ENGAGED| | Waikato,  Hamilton
A new broom sweeps clean, but the old brush knows the corners.