ADSM-L

NetWare client maintenance

1996-01-03 19:21:47
Subject: NetWare client maintenance
From: Jim Smith <spikes AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 16:21:47 PST
In answer to Jerry Lawson's questions:

>I installed (successfully, I think) the ADSM NetWare client on a test
>machine this afternoon, but had a couple of problems with the install that I
>would like to have someone (IBM?) clarify.  The target server was an old
>PS/2 model 80 that has been running ADSM V1 L8; I brought the code up to
>Version 2 with the latest PTF level (IP20572) which I believe is level 2.
>
>Problem 1 -  The doc suggests that the install of ADSM (INSTDSM.NLM) can be
>speeded up if the install disk is copied to an empty directory.  I created a
>directory named INSTALL on my SYS volume, copied the contents of the floppy
>to this directory, and then went to the NetWare console to run the INSTDSM.
>I loaded the module, and it prompted me for the source (which I pointed to
>the Install directory), and then the target directory, and then was
>presented with a message that said that it was going to copy a module
>(something.T__ - didn't write it down), then it gave me an intercept
>warning, with options to override - I replied with a B to backup first, but
>then the copy failed.  Going back to running from the floppy eliminated the
>problem.  I checked my SYS volume for the modules it was looking for, but
>the only files with the matching name was in the install subdirectory.  Is
>"INSTALL" a directory that INSTDSM uses? or was the program trying to copy
>over itself, even though I had a different source and target specified.
>(Checked that one 3 times to be sure).

I had problems when I tried to run from INSTDSM from the A: drive.
If I ran INSTDSM from the newly created install directory
(ie. SYS:\INSTALL\INSTDSM), no problems.  Where did you run INSTDSM from?
If you run from SYS:\INSTALL\INSTDSM, it will default the source drive
to SYS:\INSTALL\INSTDSM ...  Also, INSTALL is not a directory that
the INSTDSM uses by default; we typically just read from the root of the
A: drive unless a different source is specified.

>Problem 2 - The server is at 3.11 of NetWare.  I applied the LIBUP5 and
>TCP31A maintenance from the second diskette (STRTL3 was already on).  When I
>restarted the server, TCPCON.NLM would not load; it was looking for another
>NLM (TUI.NLM) that is not on the machine, and not part of the maintenance.
>In perusing the doc for the maintenance, it seems to imply that this
>maintenance does not apply to 3.11 servers; only 3.12 (and possibly 4.x).
>Am I correct?  I was able to copy the backup version of TCPCON back onto the
>system, and it now works, but I wonder if I will have problems from the
>mismatch.

The TCPIP.NLM 2.75 suite (TCP31A) is only supported on NetWare 3.12
or the MPR (multi-protocol router) 2.x on NetWare 3.12

Jim Smith
ADSM NetWare client development
San Jose, CA