ADSM-L

Re: file vs raw LVs for AIX storage pool

1996-01-03 09:20:38
Subject: Re: file vs raw LVs for AIX storage pool
From: Dan Crouse <Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 09:20:38 -0500
On Tue, 26 Dec 1995 18:28:59 +0100 John O'Neall said:
>We're installing the ADSM/6000 server on AIX 3.2.5.  One can use either
>files created by DSMFMT or raw logical volumes created by smit for
>random-access storage-pool volumes.  Has anyone compared these two
>methods?  Is there any reason for using one rather than the other?

From a mirroring and recoverability standpoint a JFS would be preferable.  I
have recently heard that based on some newer benchmarks run by IBM, that a
DB on JFS actually performs better than a DB on raw partitions.  Can someone
from IBM development confirm this?

DanC
Daniel G. Crouse
Software Information Services, Inc
Email:  Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM
Voice:  800-233-6838