ADSM-L

Re: NO SUBJECT

1995-12-21 10:20:20
Subject: Re: NO SUBJECT
From: Jeff Renicker <jrenicker AT GOODYEAR DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 10:20:20 EST
Jeff Robbins writes:

>I am planning on doing an export and import process to create a
>2nd adstar server.  does any one out there have stats to show how
>long it takes to do this process for 300 nodes out of 2000 total nodes.
>Can it be completed over a 3 day weekend???

My guess would be: no, you can't.  We run exports on a daily basis to create
our disaster recovery backups.  Each day we export 15 clients (most are
NetWare servers) and they run between 10 and 16 hours each day.  In fact,
the exports we start on Friday at noon don't finish up until Saturday around
6:00 pm!

The export process is notoriously slow and seems to depend on the number
of files being exported.  For example, the 30 hour export we start on Friday
processes around 700,000 files.

I don't know how many files you have on your 300 clients, but my gut feeling
says that you won't be able to export all of them in a 72 hour period.  This
does not include the time it takes to import them.  While an import runs
somewhat faster than an export, it's not much faster.  For example, if it takes
3 hours to export a node it will probably take around 2.5 hours to import it.

Jeff
Jeffrey E. Renicker               e-mail: jrenicker AT goodyear DOT com
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.        voice:  (216)796-3984
1144 E. Market St.                fax:    (216)796-9081
Akron, OH 44316-0001
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..." - ELP