ADSM-L

Re: FW: Recommendations on Netware Servers that Routinely Sever

1995-12-15 01:26:31
Subject: Re: FW: Recommendations on Netware Servers that Routinely Sever
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 11:26:31 +0500
Susie McClure asks:

> Does this suggestion about getting a higher level of TCPIP apply to all
> clients ???  I have one MAC user that has not been able to successfully
> complete
> it's first full ADSM backup-- usually TCPIP sever's the connection somewhere
> during the backup, and sometimes- it seems that the Mac has "gone to sleep"-
> it
> just doesn't respond for a couple of hours and then ADSM cancels the session
> due to timing out on a response.
> All my other MAC users are working just fine...even ones on the same subnet
> as this failing machine.  I have tried increasing the timeout values,
> increasing
> his tcpip buffers and windowsize (until he gets out of memory errors) and
> being sure we are doing SLOWINCREMENTAL-- all to no avail.  We can't complete
> a backup.

I agree with Tim Pittson's recommendation about getting the latest TCP/IP
NLMs for NetWare. I have no experience from which to draw for the Mac client,
but I can suggest a couple of things:

1) Usually keeping up with maintenance is a good idea in general. This not
   only includes your TCP/IP code, but ADSM code as well. Are you at ADSM
   V2 R1 L0.1? Are all your Mac clients at the same TCP/IP and ADSM levels?

2) Just for laughs, have you tried setting TCPBUFFSIZE and TCPWINDOWSIZE to
   '1' each? If it works, it'll probably be slow, but at least it works.

3) I don't know if this applies to the Mac, but I know that we had a problem
   with a Windows 3.1 client just a while back. We run Novell's NetWare and
   TCP/IP stack. The user had a frame size set too large, and wasn't able
   to successfully back up his PC. When he reduced the frame size, his
   backups worked like a charm. If there is any way to adjust the frame size
   on Mac (if it's even applicable), try reducing it to, say, 512 or 1024.
   Then work your way up. If it works, 2048 is probably reasonable.

   In general, I'd say take a look at the network configurations for the Macs
   that work, and make sure that the Mac with problems is set up similarly.

   Where is the limiting factor on frame size? I'm not sure, but it might
   have something to do with your routers.

   In fact, I wonder if this is related to similar problems experienced when
   trying to run ADSM on Windows 95. Maybe Win95 sets the frame size to large.
   But I've been unable to find out how to change it, assuming it *can* be
   changed.

   I'm not a network expert, so I can't make any promises that this will
   work. But I figured I'd take a shot.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521