ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Novell Client

1995-12-12 20:13:03
Subject: Re: ADSM Novell Client
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 06:13:03 +0500
Chuck Mattern asks:

> I'm running attempting to set up ADSM as the primary backup facility
> on our network.  We have the server running under MVS, this part I
> don't know much about and I have one of the IBM Systems Engineers
> supporting that part of the beast.  I will have have the client
> software running on about 37 Novell Netware 3.1[12] file servers,
> around 35 HP 9000's, two Sun's running Solaris, and probably several
> other platforms, as time goes by.
>
> My initial problem is that we have over 5000 Novell users here and
> only two Dedicated Netware Admin types.  File restores are done by PC
> support personnel and as I try to implement this project I know in my
> heart that even if I can train the present staff to handle the Netware
> client interface the turn over in that area will make the training a
> full time job for me.  Has anyone seen or developed a more helpful
> front end?  I don't need a gui or anything like that, just a menuing
> interface.  Something approaching the Novell Admin look and feel would
> be perfect.  Menu's of available function that use pop-ups to drill
> down into the more detailed functions.
>
> If this does not exist and there are any ADSM/Novell developers on the
> list I would like to discuss such a project.
>
> Looking forward to any feedback on this and hoping to be able to
> contribute myself as time goes by.

I'm not a developer, so all I can do is share my experiences as a user. There
is no GUI front-end to the NetWare client, and if IBM plans on developing one
they haven't mentioned it publicly (to the best of my knowledge).

However, the command-line client really isn't all that hard to use. It has
a decent online help facility built in, and the syntax is fairly easy. Doing
routine restores shouldn't be too much of a chore, and in fact may be faster
than using a GUI.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't mind a GUI. I'd love to see one, preferably
one that can be run from another platform like OS/2, AIX (any UNIX), or
Windows. My point is that the command-line is a viable alternative.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521