ADSM-L

Lotus Notes backups

1995-12-06 03:54:12
Subject: Lotus Notes backups
From: Jerry Lawson <JLAWSON AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 13:54:12 +0500
A couple of Lotus Notes backup problems I am having.......

I am trying to back up an OS/2 machine that functions as a Lotus Notes
server.  Because of the limit of the number of .NSF files the Notes client
can back up, we are still just using the OS/2 client.  One of the servers,
which functions in conjunction with a news search service, requires over
12 hours to do the backup.  Transfer rates this morning indicated that in
excess of 2.5G of compressed data had been transfered.  This was an
incremental, not an initial backup.

1.  It was suggested here that we set the backup to "Shared Static".  It
would seem that this might be a big source of the slow backups.  However,
it would appear that I may not have a good choice here - setting it to
"Static" could mean that I don't get any backups.  What is my exposure if
I set it to straight "Dynamic"?

2.  Another possible problem is that my DASD pool is relatively small -
1G, with thresholds at 90% and 50%.  Obviously this needs to be enlarged.
Are there any guidelines anyone uses (outside of migrate no more than once
a day?) to size the pool.  Is there any way to measure the amount of
overhead having too small of a pool adds to the backup?

3.  We want to get to the Notes client, and exclude the .NSF files from
the OS/2 backup.  We have also heard that the Notes backup client is not
as fast as the OS/2 client.  Is this true?

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
(203) 547-2960