ADSM-L

ADSMPIPE

1995-11-29 21:14:15
Subject: ADSMPIPE
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 21:14:15 EST
ADSMPIPE will be an "as-is" utility with the updated redbook,
 Using ADSM to Back Up Databases (SG24-4335-01),
which should be orderable the very end of Dec or
early January.  ADSM development will do some additional testing and
support ADSMPIPE as an ADSM API sample program 1H96.

But let me be very clear about ADSMPIPE.  It should only be used if
you do not have a better alternative for your database backup.  ADSMPIPE
will allow you to do full, offline backups.  It uses standard in/standard out
processing, so although we are primarily using it to read raw devices, it
can accept other input, for example, a file.  Because you need to shut down
your database and back up all raw devices using ADSMPIPE, it is not the
best alternative.  If the database backup tools or third-party products
are updated to use the ADSM api, that will be a much better alternative.

Michael, which database are you thinking of using ADSMPIPE with and I'll
let you know if there is a better alternative....

Thanks,
Cyndie Behrens
IBM - ITSO
San Jose, CA