ADSM-L

LAN Server 4.0: Performance degradation

1995-11-22 10:14:59
Subject: LAN Server 4.0: Performance degradation
From: Clemens Milz <Milz AT LINDE-VA-MUC.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 10:14:59 EST
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone encountered the same problem as me:
I have got a dramatical performance degradation of ADSM
incremental backup after upgrading to IBM LAN Server 4.0

The previous software level was OS/2 2.11 and IBM LAN Server 3.0
with XR07045. The current level is OS/2 2.11 with XR_A095 and IBM
LAN Server 4.0 with CSD 8150 and IP 8161 applied.

The backup schedule window is to small now to complete an
incremental backup of 300,000 files. The network throughput is
with 300-400 K/s the same as before. But the average time to
check 500 files wether they have to be backuped or not has
increased from 18s to 65s!

The problem is surely related to changes in the HPFS386 drivers
of the new IBM LAN Server 4.0.

Any comment or hint highly appreciated.
Tank you in advance
Clemens Milz, Linde AG, Munich/Germany