ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes Backups

1995-11-22 09:16:30
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Backups
From: Barry Johnson 80585 <BJOHNSON AT WORLDBANK DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 14:16:30 +0000
From:    Andy Raibeck
> Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Backups
>
>Barry Johnson says:
>
>>From:    Jerry Lawson
>>>The Notes administrator wanted to know what is being done with the Template
>>>files - *.NTF and *.NMF files.  ...
>>
>>From:    Andy Raibeck
>>>I'm pretty sure the Notes agent picks up only *.NSF files. Are the *.NTF and
>>>*.NMF databases? If not, I would think they would be handled by the regular
>>>OS/2 backup/archive client.
>>
>>The same might also be asked of the design of the LNotes db.  Since this is
>>held in documents within the db, are these design documents part of the backup
>>of a db?  Could make for some interesting design versioning capabilities if
>>they were...with a better client-end interface, that is...
>
>Sorry if I'm being dense, but I'm not sure what you're saying above. Can you
>clarify?

I haven't dug very far into the LNA (and I await the redbook in the hope it
will fill in a lot of the detail without me having to experiment), but I've
assume LNA works the same way as ADSM: it retains the last <n> versions of a
given document.  Of course, as neat as LNA is in the way it adds action items
to LNotes' menu so that a restore is done in the context of the appropriate
LNotes data base, it is also pretty poor in the way you have to guess the
backup date for what you want restored...
    The application part of the LNotes data base (Forms, Views, etc.) is also
stored as documents, albeit it special ones one assumes, within the data base;
presumably this is why rolling out application updates is as easy as
distributing updates to the data itself: it is all equally managed by the
replication mechanism.
    Now, if the application design documents were backed up and were subject
to the same keeping of, say, the last 5 copies...it might be useful to say
"ooops; please restore yesterday's design...

Hope this answers your query,

Barry Johnson  -  BJohnson AT WorldBank DOT Org