ADSM-L

Database Compaction Question

1995-11-21 17:34:06
Subject: Database Compaction Question
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 15:34:06 MST
>I noticed that the percentage of the database used by the ADSM Server sems to
>constantly increase even when I am expiring files at an almost equal rat.  Is
>there anyway to compact the database entries to eliminate those for expied
>files that are no longer a part of my ADSM store?

When you refer to expired files do you mean that the number of versions
has been exceeded or that expiration processing has actually been
performed?  Excess versions of a file will continue to occupy space
in the database until expiration processing occurs, at which time
all database entries for the excess versions will be removed from the
database.

The consequence is that your database may grow until expiration
processing is performed, because any excess versions will continue to
occupy database space.  However, expiration processing will reduce
database occupancy by removing database entries for expired files.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development