ADSM-L

Re: Performance Expectations

1995-11-21 16:08:29
Subject: Re: Performance Expectations
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:08:29 -0500
Jeffrey Mathers asks:

> I am archiving files with the ADSM/2 Server for OS/2 running on a Pentium
> 100 System (48 MB RAM ). The client is a 486/66 MHz DOS/win 3.x machine
> (16 MB RAM). I am getting a total throughput of 500KB/sec (around 2000
> files in 12 minutes). Each file is about 100 KB in size.
>
> Is this a reasonable performance level?

We typically get a transfer rate of around 90-ish kb/sec on our Windows
machines, which meets our needs (I back up to an ADSM/MVS server). But if
I could get it to go at 500 kb/sec, I wouldn't object    :)     So from
my point of view, your numbers are very reasonable!

Looking at it from a more philosophical standpoint, I'd say that "reasonable"
is subjective. That is, what may be reasonable for me may be unacceptable for
someone else. So another way to answer your question is: if it meets your
needs, then it is reasonable.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521