ADSM-L

[no subject]

1995-11-10 18:41:59
From: "Steelhammer, R.P." <pilot AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 15:41:59 PST
 Mr. Mathers,

 While I understand your frustration, I'm not clear on all of
 details and events involved with your experience.

 The record of your problem in our database shows you first
 contacted our support group on 10/25/95, yet you indicated that
 you've struggled with this problem for three months. Did you
 first try other channels before contacting our support group ?
 If so, what channels, when, and what direction did you receive ?

 Looking further into the problem report, it shows our support
 team took the appropriate steps in diagnosing the problem,
 identifying the solution, and providing the fix to you.  This
 process took less than five days.  If you feel your call/problem was
 not handled properly and efficiently please share with me the
 areas that you believe need improvement.

 I would also like to know the basis of your claim that
 this is a "major problem with the 8-mm drives".  Your problem
 was reported against the EXB-8205XL tape drive.  After diagnosis,
 the defect was found to be isolated to the support of this particular
 tape drive.  What has lead you to believe that this problem may
 exist with all 8-mm drives ?

 I want to assure you that there is a policy that we communicate
 to the many customers and vendors that ask for their devices
 to be added to the ADSM device support list.  This policy
 states that ADSM will verify and/or validate each and every device
 that is to be included in the list.  What this means is that a
 cross-section of tests are performed with the device to verify
 that its basic functions work with the ADSM server.  As I understand
 it, the defect with this particular device did not surface because
 the validation test was not executed with the same format option
 that you were using.  This is something that we can correct to
 catch defects like this in the future.

 Obviously, it would be best if problems like this one never
 occurred, but this is not a realistic expectation.  However, it
 is realistic to expect timely and adequate support when a defect
 is found (which I believe we did provide).  Please feel free to contact
 me directly either by e-mail or phone if you wish to elaborate
 further on your experience.  I would greatly appreciate your
 suggestions to help improve our service, and any other information
 that you have that is not documented in the problem report.

 Sincerely,

 Randy J. George
 Mgr., ADSM Device Driver Development
 San Jose, CA