ADSM-L

Re: DLT or 3590....

1995-11-09 17:07:00
Subject: Re: DLT or 3590....
From: "paul (p.) shields" <pshields AT BNR DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 16:07:00 -0600
We decided to go with DLTs because the 3590s were very expensive for the
capacity they delivered. In addition, DLT6000s are tentatively scheduled for
release in April, will double the capacity, and bring the performance to 5Mb/s.
This eliminates most of the advantages of the 3590 technology, especially when
price is factored in. In addition IBM has had trouble delivering the 3590 drives
and the tapes are very expensive. Also, don?t expect to see any significant
improvements in data capacity on the 3590s in the short term.

Get a DLT library on evaluation and try it. Nothing works better than first hand
experience.

Another option, if you need high performance and high capacity, and have the
monery, are the STK silos with Redwood drives.

Paul Shields
pshields AT bnr DOT ca