ADSM-L

Cross Client Restores

1995-11-08 10:55:25
Subject: Cross Client Restores
From: Jerry Lawson <JLAWSON AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 15:55:25 +0000
This question is primarily for IBM...

I read in the Version 2 OS/2 client manual about how Cross client restores are
supported for OS/2, DOS, Windows, and NT.  The feature sounds good, and of
course
was well needed.

My question - is there any intention to extend this capability to include
NetWare
clients?

I have two situations in mind where this would be helpful.  First is for the LAN
administrator who needs to restore a file for a customer, but the main server
console is not directly available (it's in a secure area, perhaps).  NetWare
Remote console support can handle this, but having access via a GUI interface
would be a whole lot better.  Second, we have situation where whole NetWare
disks
have been turned over to another area to maintain.  For example, a local NetWare
server has one whole volume that contains Oracle code and data bases.  The
Oracle
unit is responsible for the data; while the LAN administrator includes this
volume in the backup, restores could (and probably should) be handled via the
support unit.  They would like the same GUI interface as they use on their
desktop.

There are other situations I could document, but this is long enough.  Has this
been identified as a requirement?  Is this something we might see soon?

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
(203) 547-2960