ADSM-L

FW: Expiration processing

1995-11-08 13:55:00
Subject: FW: Expiration processing
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 13:55:00 EST
Mitch,
     Here's the latest Q DB FORMAT=DETAILED stats (we shut down ADSM daily
prior to backing it up... I issue query commands via batch just before
shutting down.

  Available Space (MB): 5,000
Assigned Capacity (MB): 5,000
Maximum Extension (MB): 0
Maximum Reduction (MB): 1,168
     Page Size (bytes): 4,096
    Total Usable Pages: 1,280,000
            Used Pages: 964,206
                 %Util: 75.3
            Max. %Util: 76.6
      Physical Volumes: 10
     Buffer Pool Pages: 2,048
 Total Buffer Requests: 56,248,725
        Cache Hit Pct.: 98.26
       Cache Wait Pct.: 0.00

Tim Pittson
pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com

 ----------
From: owner-adsm-l
To: Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L
Subject: Re: Expiration processing
Date: Wednesday, November 08, 1995 8:50AM

Just a question.  What is your cache hit pct from the 'q db f=d' command?
If it's pretty low, you might look at my message to Bob Klein regarding
subject: CPU Resources Used by Server.

Mitch

> A few weeks ago, I posted a message about how people are handling
expiration
> processing, particularly for larger ADSM  environments.  Many thanks to
> everybody who took the time to respond.  From the responses I got and from
> monitoring ADSM closely, it looks like it might be wise to manually
control
> both expiration and reclamation processing.   I've also noticed that both
of
> these processes are very disruptive if they're running while backups are
> taking place (particularly expiration processing).   One thing I did
notice,
> however, was when I skip expiration processing for 1 or 2 days, it will
run
> for 10-14 hours as opposed to 6-8 hours when it runs daily.
> I think we'll try alternating days and see how that works for awhile.
(i.e.
> expiration processing on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and reclamation
processing
> on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday).
>
> Tim Pittson
> pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com

Mitch Sako                            Phone:     (415) 508-6761
Cellnet Data Systems                  FAX:       (415) 508-6700
125 Shoreway Road                     Pager:     (408) 989-3365
San Carlos, CA 94070                  email:     mitch AT cellnet DOT com
                                      personal:  msako AT netcom DOT com