ADSM-L

Re: Windows 95 Client

1995-11-07 11:51:47
Subject: Re: Windows 95 Client
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 16:51:47 +0000
For your reading pleasure. (NOTE: After reviewing what I wrote, it
occurred to me that it might be mis-interpreted as a tirade because you
can't see me smiling in an ironic sort of way. It's not. Just sharing a
couple of war stories that came to mind when I read this. I'm sure many
of you can commiserate with me.....)     (:->

In my years of doing storage management, I've noticed that hardly anybody
considers the storage-related issues when building a new application. We
have application areas that, no matter how many times you tell them,
never take storage management into account until they're ready to implement.
Then all of a sudden they need 20 GB of DASD within the next three days.
"What? You don't have it available? Well okay, we can wait up to a week..."

The same goes for backup. We had a user area implement, unbeknownst to
us, some kind of software package that requires upwards of 6 GB of DASD,
the ability to transfer large amounts of data to and from the mainframe,
and to be able to back up and restore said 6 GB of data in a relatively
quick time frame. Guess what platform they implemented this on: *DOS*!!!
Oh, and by the way, guess who has to provide a backup solution?... (never
mind dealing with the other issues).

Now I see the same thing with Windows 95. The latest toy arrives on the
shelves, and everyone has to have one. Not until after they already have
it, do they bother to consider whether they can back it up. This, and
other questions, should be answered *before* implementation.

Oh well, back to business as usual!    :)

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521

Attached note from Greg Piney: