ADSM-L

restoring files without read permission

1995-11-07 13:00:23
Subject: restoring files without read permission
From: Michael R Vogt 301-975-2886 <vogt AT RAVEN.NIST DOT GOV>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 13:00:23 -0500
Hi,

I am a new ADSM site. I just finished installing ADSM 2.1.0 on an AIX
4.1.3 system.

Here's what I did immediately following the install:

As root:
        dsmserv quiet &
        dsm
                entered password "client"
                selected "backup by file specification"
                specified /.rhosts
                backed it up
                exited

As a regular user:
        dsm
                entered password "client"
                selected "restore by file specification"
                specified /.rhosts
                selected "restore to destination" and specified /tmp
                successfully restored it!

ls -l /.rhosts shows:
-r--------   1 root     system       103 Oct 25 16:52 /.rhosts
ls -l /tmp/.rhosts shows:
ls -l /tmp/.rhosts shows:
-r--------   1 vogt     sup884       103 Oct 25 16:52 /tmp/.rhosts
Why was I able to restore a file I do not have read permission to?
Why was I able to restore a file I do not have read permission to?

What do I need to change so that this is not possible?

I want to do backups as the root user, with or without having to specify
a password.

I want to be able to do restores as a regular user, preferably without having
to specify a password.

As a regular user I want to be restricted to restoring only my files or
another user's files that I would normally be able to read:
Unix permissions = -rw-r--r--

Thanks.

Michael Vogt
vogt AT raven.nist DOT gov.