ADSM-L

FW: ADSM datasets on SMS managed volumes ??

1995-11-07 10:10:00
Subject: FW: ADSM datasets on SMS managed volumes ??
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 10:10:00 EST
In our environment, I decided not to put ADSM on SMS managed volumes for the
following reasons...

1) Dynamic cache management - ADSM isn't 'cache friendly' so it didn't buy
us anything from a performance standpoint.

2) Archive/backup - again, the use of SMS management classes didn't buy us
anything since we don't allow ADSM files to be archived and backups are only
taken with the ADSM server shut down.

We keep ADSM on its own 3390 non-SMS managed volumes (19 and counting).
 Caching is disabled for all these volumes.

Tim Pittson
pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com