ADSM-L

ATTN IBM: ADSM component identification

1995-11-01 13:48:51
Subject: ATTN IBM: ADSM component identification
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 18:48:51 +0000
I just received my official ADSM V2 package (manuals, MVS server tape,
client diskettes/tapes, etc.).

Here is what the Windows NT client diskette has on its label
(I'm just using this as an example, the other server and client media
look similar):

                  LICENSED MATERIALS - PROPERTY OF IBM
                  LICENSED MATERIALS - PROPERTY OF IBM

             COPYRIGHT 1991, 1995    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

               5655-119       R01M00         FEAT 7312
                      ADSM FOR MVS
               IDENT. WINDOWS NT CLI        VOL 01 OF 01

              <cust#>     4MX-M1-015    004-0057    772A
             CREATED:10/23/95 ORDER:4ZYXHY  MFG.ID:D009B
Observations:
Observations:

1) The README.NOW file on the diskette indicates that the supplied
   code is at V2 R1 L0.1. The label says "R01M00". The way it currently
   reads, it looks like I'm getting base code, although it is actually
   level 0.1 code.

2) There is no PTF number on the label.

3) The component ID on the label, 5655119, is incomplete, since (I believe)
   each different component has a unique suffix, i.e. "01" for the MVS
   server. In other words, the MVS component ID is 565511901, not 5655119.

With this in mind, the following changes to ADSM packaging would be helpful:

1) All external media labels should include the following information:

   a) Complete version, release, and maintenance level numbers
   b) PTF number(s), or "BASE CODE" if it's base code
   c) Complete component ID, including unique component suffix

2) This information should also be available in:

   a) The README file that accompanies each component.
   b) The program title information that is displayed when each
      component (GUI or command-line) is initialized.
   c) The "Help/About..." dialog box in the GUI components.
   d) The command-line component "help" menu via an "About" menu selection.

   This should apply to all client and admin components.

3) In addition, it would be helpful if the ADSM server tracked this
   information for each client in the database. It would be displayable
   via the QUERY NODE administrative command.

Expected benefits:

1) ADSM users can easily identify the contents of the installation media
   just by looking at it. This is better than the "insert the disk and
   view the README file" method.

2) When reporting problems to ADSM support, the correct component ID can
   be included in the PMR. This will help get the problem to the right
   place the first time.

3) ADSM administrators can easily track maintenance levels for their
   clients. When rolling out new maintenance, this would be a major
   benefit.

Thank you.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual