ADSM-L

Re: Expiration processing

1995-10-27 16:18:03
Subject: Re: Expiration processing
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 20:18:03 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%3091043E AT PADDLES.BRIDGEWATER.NE.HCC DOT COM>, PITTSON1 AT
bwmail1.hcc DOT com (PITTSON, TIMOTHY) writes:
>We're running Version 1 of ADSM on an MVS system.  I've got expiration
>processing set up to run once a day (EXPIN 24).  Our database is 4 GB (soon
>to be 5) and I'm seeing expiration processing running 6-8 hours a day using
>60-80% of a processor on a 3090-500J..  Was just curious what other medium
>to large ADSM users were seeing as far as run times for expiration
>processing goes.  Have any improvements been made in ADSM version 2 ??  Is
>there anything I can do to speed it up ???  Was also considering changing
>this to a weekly or twice a week process instead of daily.
> Comments/suggestions appreciated.
>
>Tim Pittson
>Hoechst Celanese Corp.
>pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com

I run the expiration once a week.  With the v1 server it was taking 2 hours
elapsed with high cpu usage.  With v2 it now takes 5 hours elapsed and lots of
cpu too.  Some of this is to be expected since it has to locate and delete
backup copies, but I think there has been some other degradation also.

It used to run 6 hours on v1 but I speeded it up by consolidating the disk
bitfile storage into single files, each taking an entire disk volume.

My database stats are below -

    Available Space (MB): 7,740
  Assigned Capacity (MB): 7,740
  Maximum Extension (MB): 0