ADSM-L

Copy Pools

1995-10-26 16:13:52
Subject: Copy Pools
From: Jeff Renicker <jrenicker AT GOODYEAR DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 16:13:52 EDT
Hi folks!

I'm thinking of implementing the new copypool scheme for making our disaster
recovery backups and have a question about it.  We have our ADSM server
on MVS and are using collocation on the tape storage pool.  Right now we
are using just over 400 tape volumes so a rough guess would be that if I
did a backup of our tape storage pool I would be looking at between 700-800
tape mounts (1 for each input tape + 1 for each output tape).

Is there someway to do a series of tapes at a time?  I know it's going to
take a lllooooonnnnnnngggggg time to do the first backup, but aside from
cancelling it and restarting it later is there someway to segment the backups?
Maybe do a node at a time or something?

I'd appreciate any hints and tips about how others make disaster recovery
backups of their data.

Thanx!
Jeff
Jeffrey E. Renicker               e-mail: jrenicker AT goodyear DOT com
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.        voice:  (216)796-3984
1144 E. Market St.                fax:    (216)796-9081
Akron, OH 44316-0001
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..." - ELP