ADSM-L

Re: Mig tape m

1995-10-23 05:43:55
Subject: Re: Mig tape m
From: LARS DANIELSSON 0 31-667479 <vd.ld AT MEMO.VOLVO DOT SE>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 10:43:55 +0100
--- Received from VD.LD  +46-(0)31-667479           95-10-23 10:43
  -> IN=ADSM-L(a)VM.MARIST.EDU
  -> IN=ADSM-L(a)VM.MARIST.EDU

>I would suspect nothing. Can you determine if your disk storage
>pool filled because if so, clients would fail to write to disk stg
>and go straight to tape. You would then be bounded by the number
>of tape decks - ie one tape for migration, and one for each active
>client.
>
>We have seen this  behaviour (last night - coincidently) on our
>AIX server.

Yes, it seams we have exactly those problems. We made a trace over
the night and saw the target DASD stg come up to 100% some times.
When the 100% was reached, two more tapes were mounted and used for
one backup task each (we assume, it's not easy, almost impossible
to afterwards see which tape mount belongs to which process).
Meanwhile the tape mounts were processed (it takes some seconds even
if we use tape robots) the DASD stg utilization was decreased because
the running migration and the spontaneously made tape mounts were
used for one single file each only. In this case it hadmaybee been
better if ADSM just should have been waiting for a while.

Now we run two migrations in parallel. It's a little better. But the
backups still sometimes fill the DASD stg faster than the migration
can empty it. We think we don't have DASD I/O-problems for the DB and
DASD stg. But we have to take a closer look again.

       Thanks
         Lars