ADSM-L

Re: ADSM bugs and support.

1995-10-20 16:51:19
Subject: Re: ADSM bugs and support.
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 15:51:19 EST
Mark wrote, in part..
> I would like to ask ADSM users if many are happy with a product or support.

We are quite happy with the product and support.  We might get
frustrated from time to time when we hear plans or see enhancements in
areas we don't care about, but the product is very good and the
enhancement rate seems good and is continuing.

We think ADSM support is top notch.  We realize the variety of
hardware, platforms and configurations makes ADSM support very complex,
yet, with us, they have, and without exception, been friendly,
courteous, competent and truely interested in understanding the problem
and getting it solved as quickly as possible.  When we asked, ADSM
support always went beyond just giving a solution to discussing what
was wrong and how/why the solution would work.  We appreciated that.

> Many features which in ADSM books or README files don't work, and I am
> getting fallacious answer, for example, DSMSCHED.LOG pruning will happen
> only after scheduler will be restarted, even IBM suggested to include SCHLOGR
> (days),[s n] in DSM.SYS. So why bother with this parameters, if our goal
> to do backup with centralize scheduler and automate backup as much as
> possible.

I'm not aware of anything in the books/readme that doesn't work.  Just
because the pruning line says to prune the log to n days, doesn't mean
the log will always *be* pruned to n days.  The V2 pruning enhancement
to prune after each scheduled backup is a good one.  You require
something more?

> I have eggs on my face for recommending implementing ADSM.

Taking action on vendor plans is a risk.  We appreciate ADSM's relative
frankness and openness on this list and understand there is a
difference between a comment on this list and a product announcement
letter or running code.  We back up an AIX database (UniData -- about
a gig or so nightly) and wish the vendor had an ADSM interface.

Certain attributes of ADSM limit our current use of it (relatively
large database requirement, relatively large management cost, unknowns
and costs wrt disaster recover issues, etc.), but these are in many
cases being addressed or would be a problem with any enterprise-wide
backup facility or are of our own making.

> How people backing up 150 GB of ORACLE database, knowing it have reliable
> backup in case of restore.

Sounds like recent ADSM-L posts on database backup solutions have
important information for you!  Do you have other alternatives?

Regards,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE