ADSM-L

Database mirroring on MVS

1995-10-18 12:33:00
Subject: Database mirroring on MVS
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 12:33:00 EDT
Michael,
     We currently running ADSM V1 on MVS.  The DB is 5 GB and the recovery
log  500 MB.  We're using ADSM to mirror the both of them.  Our DB is
allocated in 1 GB increments across 10 separate physical 3390-2 volumes (5
segments * 2 for mirroring).  The recovery log is 1 500 MB dataset mirrored,
again on separate physical volumes (either 3390-3's or 3390-2's).  Caching
is disabled for these volumes since the ADSM database and recovery logs
don't cache well behind 3990-3 controllers  (not an issue with the EMC stuff
since everything is cached anyway).   Might want to have the ADSM IBM'ers
verify this but I think there's an advantage in using ADSM mirroring,
especially on DB reads.

Regards...
Tim Pittson

>I am assuming that most if not all of the previous comments on Mirroring on
>the ADSM server are for the NON-Mainframe environments.  What are the MVS
>server folks doing.  Currently I have both the DB and Recovery log mirrored
1 deep >on EMC 9000 volumes which are hardware mirrored.  I think I have to
much
>redundancy.  I am considering giving up the ADSM mirroring and letting the
>EMC device handle this for me.  Does anyone have any experience with
mirroring >on the MVS environment??  How are you handling mirroring and what
size is your >DB.