ADSM-L

Volumes in a 3494 library?

1995-10-16 15:58:42
Subject: Volumes in a 3494 library?
From: "David E. Bohm" <bohm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 12:58:42 MST
I agree that things should be better documented.  I would like to emphasize
however that the device support for the 3480, 3490, 3590, 3494 and 3495 are
provided with the hardware not by ADSM.  I do not agree that ADSM should
document how to install device drivers that already have installation
instructions provided with them by the owners of those device drivers.
There are no special ADSM considerations for installing these device
drivers.

There are ADSM considerations for using these devices which ADSM should
document.  I must confess that I have not looked at the installation for
the V2 server to determine where the readme information for using the 3590
in a 3494 library is located.  I would be happy to send it to whoever
would like a copy.  I am sending a copy of this readme file to the two
people who have replied to my previous append.

I am sorry for the RTFM look of my update.  I was attempting to emphasize
that all of the documentation needs to be read.  In the case of enabling
3590 support for the 3494 library, without being aware of the two scratch
tape categories it is possible to accidentally overwrite tapes in that second
category.  Since the ADSM manuals do not get updated with every code change
the readme files is the only way we have of notifying customers of changes
and thing the be aware of.  I will investigate where the readme should be
located in the V2 server installation.

Regards - David Bohm, ADSM technical support.