ADSM-L

Re: Volumes in a 3494 ADSM library?

1995-10-16 11:38:09
Subject: Re: Volumes in a 3494 ADSM library?
From: Kent Johnson <johnsk6 AT RPI DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 11:38:09 -0400
Some more help in regard to this subject would be greatly appreciated.

> The first thing to emphasize is the readme files MUST be read.  There is
> important information in the readme files for 3590 support in a 3494
> library.

OK.  The first thing I would like to say is thanks for the response.  I hope
that it will help me.  I appreciate the response coming on Saturday, too.

Now, here's the rest of what I would like to say...

It is true that I did NOT read the readme files.  However, I have read the
readme files this morning.  The readme files which I read, since this reponse
was less than specific as to which readme files to read, are the following.

/usr/lpp/adsm/bin/README
/usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/README
/usr/lpp/adsm/api/bin/README.API

I have grep'ed these files for the 3590 and there are no occurances of this
text anywhere.

I did read a very basic description of the importance of unique SCSI address
and SCSI termination.  As well as a number of equally basic pieces of
information which make it difficult to find the gems of IMPORTANT information
which might be in the readme files.

So, if (as Mr Bohm alleges) there is information pertinent to configuring
3590's in the "readme files", I would love to here from someone who can
either send me these readme files (or excerpts), or direct me to the exact
location where I might find these files.

I would like to echo the words of Sheelagh Treweek, who posted a response to
this message.  I certainly share these sentiments.

"The real point I am trying to make is that these systems are quite complex
and people are often under a great deal of pressure to get them installed and
working. We can and do read but we'd like a bit of help with more detailed
instructions pulled together."

I have spent most of last week reading a number of manuals.  Including the
following.

1) Operator's Guide - IBM 3494 Tape Library Dataserver
2) Administrator's Guide - ADSM for AXI; Version 2
3) Administrator's Reference - ADSM for AIX; Version 2
4) Installation and User's Guide - IBM SCSI Tape Drive, Medium Changer, and
   Library Device Drivers

The ADSM Device Configuration manual SH35-0137-00 did not come with the
software which we received.  I wasn't aware that it existed.

After flipping between numerous (and thick) manuals, trying to find the
information I need, it is frustrating to hear RTFM.  Especially since all
last week I did RTFM.  I think that there is room for improvement in TFM.

I think that I have vented a good part of my frustration.  So, now armed with
"the readme" files I will return to battle with ADSM and the 3494.

> 1) The 3590 drives are not configured under ADSM devices.  For any of the
>    "big" IBM tape drives and libraries, ADSM uses the device drivers
>    supplied with the hardware.  The devices are the 3480, 3490, 3590,
>    3494 and 3495.  The only time you need to configure the devices under
>    ADSM devices is when ADSM provides the device driver.  I recommend the
>    ADSM Device Configuration manual SH35-0137-00.  Although this is a V2
>    manual, most of the information also applied to V1 servers.

OK, thanks.

> 2) Be careful on the scratch category.  Again, there is information in the
>    readme file.  If you use 301 as the scratch category on the define
>    library you need to be aware that 301 will be used for 3480/3490
cartridges
>    and 302 will be used for 3590 cartridges.  There is a physical
difference
>    in the media.  ADSM will share the private category but not the scratch
>    category.

Is this documented somewhere?  Is the 301 for 3480/3490 and 302 for 3590 a
convention?  We only have 3590 drives in the 3494.  So, will 3590 drives
still be category 302?

And, do I need to assign the category in the 3494 using a standalone device
for all of the ADSM scratch tapes, or will ADSM assign the category when it
finds a tape which was formated using DSMFMT?

This mechanism seems pretty clumsy and time consuming.  Is there a better way
to do this?

> P.S.  Can I assume that ENABLE3590LIBRARY YES has already been added to
your
>       options file?  This is required to support the 3590 device in a 3494
>       library.

Yes, I did set the ENABLE3590LIBRARY, because you see, I have been reading
TFM.

Kent

--
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu