ADSM-L

Re: ADSM at Cornell Univ.

1995-10-09 10:26:48
Subject: Re: ADSM at Cornell Univ.
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 14:26:48 +0000
Susan McClure asks (in part):

> Also- question for you and others:  Is there a good way to get a rough
> estimate of how much data gets backed up to the server each night ???
> I can see files roll off disk to tape, but I don't see how to tell how many
> MB of data I moved in a day.

I am running the ADSM MVS server. ADSM cuts SMF records for each client
session. Although there's a whole bunch of stuff in these records, some
of the pertinent items include the client name, session duration, amount
of CPU used, number of KB backed up, number of KB restored, number of KB
archived, number of KB retrieved, etc.

We collect all of the ADSM SMF records (type 42, subtype 14) into GDGs
by month (i.e. one generation data set per month's worth of records).
From there, I use SAS to read the records and generate reports. Among
other things, I can summarize by date the amount of data backed up to
the server, which is what you asked about. This is what I use to ensure
my disk storage pool has sufficient room to house a night's worth of
backups.

Although I use MVS, ADSM can create accounting records on the other
server platforms as well. I would imagine that they would contain similar
content.

For MVS, information on accounting records is contained in the Admin
Guide in the chapter titled "Managing Server Operations". In my
V1 manual, it is chapter 10. In my V2 manual, it is chapter 3. I'm pretty
sure that the other server manuals have similar chapters.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521