ADSM-L

Restore to empty dir: File exists?!

1995-10-05 15:03:10
Subject: Restore to empty dir: File exists?!
From: Clemens Milz <Milz AT LINDE-VA-MUC.CCMAIL.COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 15:03:10 EDT
     Hello ADSMer,

     Testing the version 2 OS/2 ADSM client I encountered a problem:
     I restored a part of a filespace to a really empty directory. (1.6 GB
     with about 65,000 files.) The filespace was produced by an version 1
     release 2 client whereas the last year.

     Near at the end of the restore I have got a message that a file would
     already exist. I took a look into the directory and in fact there was
     a file with the same name but another date and size as the file which
     ADSM was about to restore. I answered "y" to the replace prompt. Then
     I have got the message that the restore processing was finished and a
     communications timeout error message though. The file on the hard disk
     was deleted as it is described as a known problem. (We are looking
     forward for solution soon...)

     A "query backup -inactive" showed only one version of the file at the
     backup filespace on the server. The problem came not up at a restore
     of the same data with the version 2 release 1 client.

     So I am wondering where the previous version of the file came from. Is
     the server data base corrupt? What can I do for clarification?

     Any idea highly appreciated.
     Thank you in advance
     Clemens Milz, Munich/Germany