ADSM-L

Re: Wildcards and Restores

1995-09-28 11:18:58
Subject: Re: Wildcards and Restores
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 11:18:58 -0400
Jerry Lawson wrote:

> If I read your suggestion correctly, this has use to us in a couple of
ways.
> First, we have people who have relabeled their C: drive (such as when
they
> installed Win95); they now have the two backups as you used in your
example,
> and can go back to the original if need be.  Also, this should be of
value if
> you are reformatting a hard drive to change partition sizes - labels
could be
> changed at this time, or data from other drives could be moved using
this.

Yes. If your Windows C: drive is labeled "DOSWIN" and you back it up,
then upgrade to OS/2 and label the drive as "OS/2" and back that up,
you now have two distinct images of the drive available for restoration,
in case you want to go back to Windows. Of course, individual files
are also available.

I wouldn't advertise this too heavily - if you stay with your OS/2
system, the "DOSWIN" filespace will never expire since versions are
marked as inactive or expired only when the filespace is next backed
up. If everyone were to do this sort of thing, your ADSM storage
requirements could quickly get out of control.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521