ADSM-L

Re: V2 Client, V1 Server

1995-09-21 13:54:22
Subject: Re: V2 Client, V1 Server
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 12:54:22 EST
Gerhard -

> When I try to open a Storage Pool Icon, sometimes I get SYS3175
> immediately, sometimes after opening and clicking APPLY.
> Is it a bug in the client code or incompatibility between v2 and v1?

I am running the MVS server (L14), and have reported the same problem to IBM.
They have accepted the APAR, and it seems to be on track to be included in the
next set of client upgrades - scheduled for December (????)  They are not sure
of anu of this yet. I am still using OS/2 2.11.

I have seen several problems - The SYS3175, fo me it occurs when I close the
property book.  It is consistent - and blows away the whole admin session.  I
also complained about the fact that  there is no longer a view of the objects
in a specific pool - only a general view that shows all objects in all pools.
I want to be able to tell which tapes are in which pool, etc.  Another problem
on this APAR is that the number of volumes in a storage pool (for tape) does
not show up in the box for it, but the info is there if I display all pools in
a text list.  Also, under the scheduler ICON, I found that I could not add
nodes to an existing schedule through the GUI - have to do it in batch (can't
delete, either).  I also just found that if you display the logthrough the
GUI, the default is no longer to go back to the last hour when you terminate
the admin session - it keeps the last action.  Furthermore, if the action was
something like a text string search, the action stored is trunacaed at 8
characters, and the next time you come in, you'll get an error message
indicating that a quote is missing, when you didn't have one in the first
place (the GUI supplied it).  This was not very promising - too many bugs for
a new release.

There is good news, in my book however - This release supports OS2
Multi-tasking!  You can now go do other things while waiting for those slow
ADSM commands!

Jerry Lawson