ADSM-L

It never rains....

1995-09-13 01:01:50
Subject: It never rains....
From: Hamish Marson <HAMISH AT WAIKATO.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 17:01:50 +1200
Its pouring... Actually the sun is shining, but the sweat is really starting to
pour over this one.

ADSM at 1.2r7 was working fine (From a base of 1.2.0.6, PTF'ed to 1.2.7), and
then I went and put 1.2r8 on the server (Becasue I wanted to start using a DLT
tape drive, which is in 1.2r8, but not 1.2r7)... Now I go to use the tape drive
and get the following error

hamish@thebes 3> ./dsmlabel -drive=/dev/mt0 -keep

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager for AIX-RS/6000
Volume Label Utility Program
Version 1, Release 2, Level 0.8/1.8

Licensed Materials - Property of IBM

5765-203 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1994, 1995.  All rights reserved.
U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.

ANR9718E Device '/dev/mt0' is not recognized as a supported drive type.
hamish@thebes 4>

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The device is an HP35480A. Worked fine in 1.2r7, why the heck has it stopped
working now? A trace shows no errors occuring from any SCSI command. Surely they
didn't pull support for the drive in 1.2r8. Although the drive sits in an
ADIC1200, it is defined as being in a manual library to ADSM, and the is not
only NOT defined to ADSM, its on a completely separate SCSI ID, so that it
doesn't even know it...

WHY WHY WHY WHY????

+------------------+  Hamish Marson, Information Technology Services,
|                  |  University of Waikato
| AIX-PPC #1       |  Fax +64-7-838-4066 email hamish AT waikato.ac DOT nz.
+------------------+  News Manager             news AT news.waikato.ac DOT nz
                      Disclaimer:  Remember, you heard it here first!

REPUTATION: what others are not thinking about you.