ADSM-L

Re: Integrity APAR question

1995-09-06 20:50:45
Subject: Re: Integrity APAR question
From: Frank Ramke <ramke AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 17:50:45 PDT
>Can someone provide more info on this?  Is the "file to be erased" the same
>one that is being restored/retrieved?  Or a different one?

>On Wed, 6 Sep 1995 16:05:50 PDT Richard A. Peters said:

>>The ADSM version 2 clients come with an integrety apar warning:
>>
>>   File Erasure Due to Communications Timeout During Prompted Restore/Retrieve
>>
>>   At the time the version 2 clients shipped, a bug affecting all clients
>>   was discovered, which, under certain circumstances, could cause a file
>>   to be erased during restore/retrieve operations.
>>
>>   APAR IC10795 has been opened against this problem and a fix will
>>   be available soon.
>>
>>My question is, does this problem also exist in the version 1 clients, or
>>does the problem only exist in version 2 clients.  Thanks.
>>
>>                                         Richard A. Peters
Since I was the one that inserted the bug, I'll answer this. The file
Since I was the one that inserted the bug, I'll answer this. The file
that is erased is the same file that is being restored. The error occurs
when the user is being prompted whether to replace the existing file
or not. If the user doesn't answer before the COMMTIMEOUT number of
seconds, the restore fails and the existing file is erased.
COMMTIMEOUT and IDLETIMEOUT are options set in the ADSM server
dsmserv.opt file.

The error will occur on all clients, GUI and command line. I've include
the detailed information that should be in all clients README file.
The fix should be available the last week of this month.

Regards,
Frank Ramke

File Erasure Due to Communications Timeout
During Prompted Restore/Retrieve

At the time the version 2 clients shipped, a bug affecting all clients
was discovered, which, under certain circumstances, could cause a file
to be erased during restore/retrieve operations.

APAR IC10795 has been opened against this problem and a fix will
be available soon.

Once available, the fix will be placed on the ADSM Anonymous FTP Server
(index.storsys.ibm.com), COMPUSERV (GO IBMSTORAGE), and in the normal
IBM service stream.

Scenario:

  A communication timeout occurs during a restore/retrieve operation of
  an existing file while the user is being prompted to replace the file.

  The restore operation will prompt the user to replace an existing
  file under the following circumstances:

      1. Prompting mode is set to "Show Prompt", which is the default
         for both the command line and GUI clients.

         This prompting mode is specified in the command line client by
         setting the REPLACE option to PROMPT, and is specified in the
         GUI client by checking the "Show Prompt" option in the
         Restore/Retrieve Parameters dialog.

      2. Prompting mode is set to "Replace Existing Files" and the file
         being prompted for is Read-Only.

         This prompting mode is specified in the command line client by
         setting the REPLACE option to YES, and is specified in the
         GUI client by checking the "Replace Existing Files" option
         in the Restore/Retrieve Parameters dialog.

  If a communications timeout error occurs before the user responds to
  the prompt, the file being prompted for will be erased.

Resolution:

  Refrain from using the "Show Prompt" or "Replace Existing Files"
  prompting modes if at all possible.

  Use either the "Restore Existing Files (including Read-Only)" or
  "Leave Existing Files Intact" prompting mode.

  The "Restore Existing Files (including Read-Only)" prompting mode
  is specified in the command line client by setting the REPLACE
  option to ALL, and is specified in the GUI client by checking
  the "Restore Existing Files (Including Read-Only)" option of the
  Restore/Retrieve Parameters dialog.

  The "Leave Existing Files Intact" prompting mode is specified in
  the command line client by setting the REPLACE option to NO,
  and is specified in the GUI client by checking the "Leave Existing
  Files Intact" option of the Restore/Retrieve Parameters dialog.

  If either of the above mentioned prompting modes must be used,
  communications timeouts can be avoided by disabling the COMMTIMEOUT
  and IDLETIMEOUT options on the ADSM server. These options may be
  disabled by setting their value to 0 in the server options file.