ADSM-L

Re: dialing into ADSM for a backup

1995-09-01 14:29:45
Subject: Re: dialing into ADSM for a backup
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 14:29:45 EDT
On Fri, 1 Sep 1995 11:31:30 -0500 Susan McClure said:
>Can someone give me a little more detail on how I could set up users to
>DIAL into our network so they could initiate ADSM backups.

here's a couple more cents worth of experience...

We have a few users here who use ADSM over SLIP on Macs and PCs, and over
PPP on OS/2.  It is possible, and nothing special is needed for ADSM.  If
your users are already using SLIP or PPP for other work, ADSM should also
work just as well.  As Wayne said, however, setting up SLIP for the first
time can be a trial if you don't have good documentation.  If you don't have
good phone lines, this can be a special pain for ADSM, since it will tend
to run for a long time, especially for the first backup.  Naturally, the
faster the modem you have the better off you'll be.  One thing that helps
is that ADSM can compress data before sending it to the server, though
I think perhaps most modern modems may already have compression built into
them.

It is also very handy for recovering files from your office system to your
system at home!

..Paul