ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Experiences

1995-09-01 14:18:35
Subject: Re: ADSM Experiences
From: Mitch Sako <mitch AT CELLNET DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 11:18:35 PDT
In a previous life, at my previous company, I had experience with data on
about 150-200 machines that was well over a TB under management.  Our catalogs
(four of them at the time) had between 60,000,000-96,000,000 database rows
per server, probably totaling somewhere around 250-300 million objects
(including active and inactive) under management.  My experience with ADSM,
WDSF and a previous unannounced (and subsequently cancelled) product goes back
quite a ways (something like the late '80s or early '90s, I don't remember
the precise dates) as a joint study participant (pre-ESP/beta) in each of these
product introductions.  Enough boasting. :-).

It certainly sounds like you are going to run into some very significant
difficulties if you are going to run on one RS/6000 server with this many
files to manage.  ADSM does an absolutely superb job of moving data around
(terabytes are not a problem) but you have to be aware that it is a file-level
backup system (as opposed to a filesystem-level system) from the standpoint
of catalog management (i.e. UNIX dump has no real online catalog to
interactively
query, you typically read it from the tape) and full restores of filesystems
with large numbers of files (the filesystem size is totally immaterial because
ADSM does not have problems moving bulk data), typically 100,000-ish or more
can get a bit slow.

E-Mail me at mitch AT cellnet DOT com if you would like to correspond regarding
this
matter.  At my current company we run a very small ADSM system.

> I am looking for people who have adsm configured in an environment similiar
> to ours. We are currently looking at backing up about 1.4T of data spread
> across about 200 machines.
>
> The important part is the following. Our average file size is in the 20 -
> 40Kb range which under our current evaluation and test environment seems to
> be stressing the database on the RS/6000-based server.
>
> Is there anyone out there with similiar average filesizes, backing up at
> least several Gigs of data that would be willing to iscuss your experiences
> in performance and configuring the servers for optimal performance.
>
> Paul Shields

Mitch Sako                            Phone:     (415) 508-6761
Cellnet Data Systems                  FAX:       (415) 508-6700
125 Shoreway Road                     Pager:     (408) 989-3365
San Carlos, CA 94070                  email:     mitch AT cellnet DOT com
                                      personal:  msako AT netcom DOT com