ADSM-L

Restore Netware 3.12 volume

1995-08-29 13:44:17
Subject: Restore Netware 3.12 volume
From: "PITTSON, TIMOTHY" <PITTSON1 AT BWMAIL1.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 17:44:17 GMT
Gary,

Make sure you're running the ADSM Netware client level 1.2.08 code.  In
prior levels, ADSM would restore the directory structure on the first pass,
then restore the files on a second pass.  This would take forever with or
without collocation when you're going from tape.  In my past experiences
restoring Netware servers, nothing was really gained by running 2 restores
at the same time on the same Netware clients.  However, that was with
clients that had collocation enabled and, in other instances, dealt with
clients we had taken special full backups to a disk storage pool because we
knew we'd be recovering them.  Another factor to consider is whether or not
Compression is enabled... Compression is a CPU hog on the client.  However,
with collocation disabled, I'd say your best bet would be to run both
restores concurrently since much of the restore time will be spent in tape
mounts and ADSM locating the data on the tapes.  Another option would be to
start one volume restore from that server and do a cross client restore of
the other volume from another Netware server.

REPLACE has 4 options, PROMPT, YES, NO, ALL.  PROMPT, which is the default,
will prompt anytime a file is to be ovewritten.  NO tell's ADSM not to
overlay an existing file.  YES tells ADSM to overwrite existing files except
those marked read-only.  ALL tells ADSM to overwrite everything, including
read-only files.  For an empty volume, it doesn't matter that much... I'd
specify REPLACE=YES.

Good luck !!!

Tim Pittson
pittson1 AT bwmail1.hcc DOT com

Question, we had a hard drive go bad on a Netware 3.12 server and will
be using ADSM to recover the data.  The drive is partitioned into 2
500mb volumes, called CORR1 and CORR2.  We run the MVS server, with 95%
of the backup data residing on 3480 cartridges.  In the interest
of speeding up the process, can we :

  1. Restore both filespaces simultaneously with one run of the
     DSMC RESTORE by using pattern matching for the similar (vol) names.

  2. If not, can we load two concurrent sessions of DSMC, one for
     each filespace.

  3. Also, the  -REPLACE= parameter is a bit mysterious to me.  Our
     documentation does not indicate what the default is and I'm not
     sure which value (if any) is best for restoring to an empty disk.

No need to go into the issue of collocation.  We have chosen not to use
it because of the shear volume of tapes it would generate !
Please respond to my address to avoid annoyance of list subscribers !
Thanks,  Gary Wood,  Westchester County, NY