ADSM-L

Re: RS/6000 server hardware configuration??

1995-08-16 13:42:53
Subject: Re: RS/6000 server hardware configuration??
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:42:53 EDT
On Thu, 10 Aug 1995 02:41:40 CDT Keith A. Crabb said:
>What hardware seems to work for you? or what hardware would you
>ideally like to run ADSM from?

Hi Keith;

What we have:

  250 users, 100GB, 2GB/day
  RS/6000 41T, 64MB memory, ethernet
  2 SCSI channels
  LAGO LS380/L (8mm robot, 54 carts, 2 8500C drives)
  17 GB SCSI disk (mostly Seagate Barracudas, 2 & 4 GB)
  DB has 2 copies on disk

What I would like (for future growth projected upwards to 2000+ users):

  FDDI instead of Ethernet
  3494 + 3 MagStar drives (on F/W differential SCSI channel)

We chose the 41T because it had 4 expansion slots and we didn't care about
putting disk drives into the same cabinet.  We just have them located next
to the 41T, which seems to work okay.

We haven't run into any bottlenecks yet, except for running out of mbufs
occasionally.  We haven't done any tuning in this area yet, but I plan to
soon and expect that the mbuf shortage will be easily solved by upping the
max memory allocatable to mbufs.

It would've been nice if the LAGO had a third tape drive, for when
reclaims are running, but we've developed a software workaround that
handles this for us pretty well.

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601